Written by Andy Cohen
Tuesday, 30 September 2014 07:08
Every day families gather over dinner tables to share love and laughter. To share the joy and bond of family and friends but for some....that dinner table is empty. You can help change that; by helping us fill our studio with YOUR food donations to the Humboldt Food Bank and the 1075 Bolt FM Food Drive! With every food item you bring in to 107-5 Bolt FM, you'll have a chance to win 500-dollars’ worth of groceries! Just bring your food donations to us while we are on location any where! Or to the station at 940 10th Street Humboldt!
AND NOW for every item you bring in to donate to the Humboldt Food Bank not only will it be an entry in to the draw for a 500 dollar gift certificate in groceries Humboldt Sobey's will match one dollar on top of that 500 grand prize up to 500 dollars!
If you want to learn more about your Humboldt Food bank. Listen to my conversation with Humboldt Fook Bank board memember Darline Cash!
The Humboldt Food bank is located at 901 5th Ave Contact: (306) 231-9970
Written by Andy Cohen
Monday, 29 September 2014 06:38
• Packing Lunch at Home – By the time you wash all that Tupperware, spin the lettuce, portion out the protein, have you really saved any time?
• Digital Shopping Lists – Inputting items can be time-consuming and the handheld device too unwieldy to constantly handle. Odds are a good old pencil and ‘treeware’ are quicker.
• Dishwashers – Sometimes the time needed to pre-rinse, load, and unload far exceeds what it would take to hand-wash a few dishes. Often you have to wash things with stuck-on food twice.
• Pre-Made Salads – Some bagged or boxed salad mixes carry the warning that they need to be rinsed prior to consumption, creating far more prep-time than you anticipated.
• Multi-tasking – Sometimes getting the job done right the first time before moving down your list is just more efficient, especially when it comes to issues of accuracy or safety.
• Self-Checkouts – They can often take longer than a cashier, ie: When items don’t scan properly; when the computer claims you haven’t placed something in the bag when you have; when you have to call the supervisor over to clear an item.
Written by Andy Cohen
Thursday, 25 September 2014 08:34
• There’s an app to replace you. • It’s afraid it can’t let you do that.....especially when your name is Dave. • It tells you when you hold it wrong. • It’s ring tone sounds condescending. • It complains about having a brain the size of a planet and all it does is forward your text messages. • Instead of a beep, it sighs in exasperation every time you complete a function. • It refuses to run fart apps.
Written by Andy Cohen
Thursday, 18 September 2014 05:35
A new study of shower heads has discovered that about 20% of those investigated contain disease-causing mycobacterium stuck there in their own slime. A University of Colorado study says microbes are everywhere, so finding them in showers is no surprise, but finding them in such large numbers is. Some strains of the bacteria can cause lung disease and showerheads ‘aerosolize’ them, making them easy to inhale. A couple of tips: Microbes grow much better on plastic rather than metal; and the first burst of water is the most microbe-concentrated. For the average person this isn’t a concern, but people with health issues may want to change showerheads every 6 months or so. (I don’t even wanna guess what’s lurking in the drain!)
Written by Tyler Bieber
Thursday, 11 September 2014 08:27
Boston Pizza, the Official Sponsor of the Humboldt Touch Football League is hosting the 1st HTFL Awards Night on Saturday, September 13th at 7:00pm.
The evening will feature a pizza, pasta, salad buffet... that means all you can eat for $20. Half of that ($10 for those who struggle with math like Andy Cohen) will go towards the HTFL, with a portion of that going to support the team that will represent both the league and the City of Humboldt at the provincial championships in Moose Jaw on October 4th and 5th.
Following the awards night, an after-party will be held in the lounge, and will feature the opportunity to win prizes, such as an autographed picture of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.
Evan Nyhus, the smooth operator of the Humboldt Boston Pizza has asked myself, Tyler Bieber, to be the local "celebrity" host of the evening. After he called me a celebrity, my hat size went up for some weird reason. Not sure why.
"I had no part in this, why do you have a recorder in front of me, what is this all about," said Nyhus.
Conveniently, there is a CFL doubleheader on Saturday night, with the Calgary Stampeders hosting the Toronto Argonauts at 5:00pm, followed by the BC Lions and Winnipeg Blue Bombers at 8:00pm. Sounds like a perfect night to me.
On Sunday, September 7th, Team Boston Pizza defeated the Untouchables 21-14 to claim the inaugural Fishbowl Cup, as champions of the league.
We live in the 2nd largest country in the world, pretty impressive if you ask me!
I can totally understand why most Canadians have never been abroad, I mean really, this country is so impressive. From the maritimes, to the praries, and of course the rockies! It can take a life time to travel around the country to take in the culture, history and the gorgeous landscapes.
I have made myself a Canadian bucket list, cause why the heck not. Some of them I have done already!
Gallop across the prairies shouting "yeeehaa" - Check
Bungee Jump in Wakefield Quebec - So I read this, sounds fun. I would probably cry like a baby though.
Go on a polar bear safari near Churchill, Manitoba - Manitoba has Polar Bears...WHAT???
Visit the hot springs in the Canadian Rockies - Check!
Spend a night in the Hôtel de Glace in Québec - An ice hotel, well, I live in Saskatchewan now, I can handle it...right?
Snorkel or scuba through Tobermory Bay in Ontario - I have snorkeled and scuba dives in Egypt and Turkey. But looking at shipwrecks sounds pretty cool!
See the northern lights! - One day I will see them!
Visit the Calgary Stampede - Now this I must see!
Largest Dinosaur! - Check, I sat on his foot!
Ok so that's not even half of it! Canada is amazing and I am fortunate enough to have moved here and have the opportunity the experience it.
When the City of Humboldt and Central Saskatchewan want local news, weather, and sports online and on-demand, they turn to DiscoverHumboldt. As Humboldt Saskatchewan's website for local job listings, free classifieds, garage sales, family events, business directory and weather cancellations, DiscoverHumboldt is your connection for local information.